Saturday, September 7, 2013

How a Trip to Achungo Changed a Life

Let me tell you my story of how a short term mission trip at MPPC affected me so deeply that I left my life in California to work in missions in Africa. 

I went on the October 2012 trip to Achungo with Monte Fisher and I felt my heart break for Africa and for the children there. I knew I had to go back, but I didn't want to go for two weeks. I wanted to change my life completely. 
 
[Sarah designed and painted these murals on her October trip to Achungo.  On the right is the "Tree of Achungo" where she created "leaves" out of hand prints from each of the Achungo students.]


So I left my job, my life, friends and family and I moved to Kenya in March to work as an intern for an organization called Empowering Lives International. I spent 3 months living and working with a group of 120 orphans, and I was blessed with the opportunity to paint murals in their school and home while I was there.

[On that second trip, Sarah painted the mural on the left on the new Achungo library]

I'm now back in the states for 2 months, and I will be returning to Kenya in September to continue pursuing God's will for my life there, whatever that may look like. 

God turned my life upside down, shook it out, and put it back together in a way that I never could have imagined when I signed up for that Achungo trip a year ago. 


-- Sarah Ackerley
Read more about her journey and other mural work at  http://eatpraylovewithjesus.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment